Pacific Arms Corporation
Very little is known about the 1920s Pacific Arms Corporation, a.k.a. PAC except that its office was located in the Liberty Bank Building on Market Street in
San Francisco with only a P.O. Box 427 address.
What highlights Pacific Arms Corporation are mainly their catalogs, only two known being published, the first in 1922 and the second and final catalog in 1924, with interestingly, only the second 1924 catalog with a cover page Liberty Bank Building P.O. box 427 address. Based on the name of Pacific Arms Corporation it is assumed they were incorporated and with the “REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.” statement under the page 1 “American” Eagle logo, of the 1922 catalog only, that the logo was registered ®. Additionally, both the 1922 and 1924 catalogs are copyright protected as stated on the covers, in three languages; English, French and German. Interestingly, none of this information; incorporation, registration and copyright protection has ever been verified as of this writing.
Since the 1924 catalog states on the cover page that PAC are; Manufacturers of and Merchants in Ammunition, Military Equipment, Sporting Goods, Etc. and the incredible claim that: Armies or Individuals can be Completely Equipped with Arms, Ammunition, Clothing and Supplies on Short Notice that the location for the assembly and distribution PAC Lugers was certainly not the Liberty Bank Building and that the actual manufacturing location has never been identified.
The verification and existence/location of San Francisco PAC warehouses was verified along with the demise of the Pacific Arms Company being about 1927 per a very interesting article published in the August 1998 issue of The Gun Report magazine by C. Kenyon, Jr. In the article the President of PAC is identified as J. F. Mannerstan and other information in the article apparently supported the 1924 PAC catalog cover page statement or claim that Armies or Individuals can be Completely Equipped with Arms, Ammunition, Clothing and Supplies on Short Notice was true, unfortunately, as the article describes could be very illegal. For more details click here.
Being located in San Francisco one would expect that their customer base would be mostly located in the west, however, their reach was apparently nation-wide as evidenced by New York City “Air Mail” correspondence dated Oct. 3, (19) 24, of which coincidently, U.S. Air Mail service only first started in the United States in 1918. Note that the seven stamps totaling 24 cents postage required to “Air Mail” the catalog, apparently paid by the sender, to New York costs more than twice the enclosed 10 cents catalog.
PAC, purportedly, is the first documented American Luger retailer to use the word GENUINE in describing the Luger, although several 1920s catalogs used the word GENUINE in describing Lugers for sale including J.L. Galef catalogs, a 1925 American Novelty Company catalog and many others.
The Pacific Arms Corporation a.k.a. PAC Luger is a very controversial Luger variation and although the firm, whose existence has been aknowledged by several authors, the variation is based solely on the 1922 and 1924 PAC catalog contents, as no example has ever been pictured in any Luger book. The first reference to the PAC firm was in LUGER by J. Walter © 1986 where
he states in a paragraph titled (ii) The American market -This, then is the period in which the Pacific Arms Co., Francis Bannerman & Sons, the Luger Sales Co., Abercrombie & Fitch and others became involved in the history of the Parabellum. Few of their guns were marked, apart from the pistols aquired by Abercrombie & Fitch in Switzerland, though ‘Galef’ and Pacific Arms Co.’ guns have been recently reported. Another company, briefly in competition with A.F. Stoeger, Inc. was the Hugo J. Panzer Company, which until the supremacy of Stoeger, was a major importer and distributor of 1920s commercial Lugers, although no Lugers have been identified with any Panzer markings. †Ralph Shattuck of World of Lugers fame did occasionally advertise PAC Lugers in the 1980s and 1990s and published a World of Lugers guide to Luger prices in a 1994 Gun Report magazine article that included PAC Lugers.
Although the 1920s San Francisco based Pacific Arms Corporation firm’s existence is aknowledged in The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess © 2010 & 2011, the PAC medallions, the hallmark of the variation, as described in the Fig. 11-73 text caption, are basically dismissed as of doutbful authenticity, which, by inference Sturgess totally dismisses the PAC Luger variation. Many collectors have also expressed their doubts regarding the medallions, citing there are at least two variations, one bronze and one brass, each with slightly different font characteristics. Pictured are three different variations of the PAC medallions.
Critics also cite the fact that PAC Lugers only surfaced in the 1980s and only in the San Francisco area, which really, is not that unusual, since PAC was located in San Francisco. Regarding the “sudden” 1980s appearance, suggesting opportunism, implying somehow that the variation didn’t exist prior to that time frame, skeptics are to be reminded that other 1920s and earlier period dealers/retailers in Lugers such as J.L. Galef, 75 Chambers Street, New York City, N.Y. marked Lugers were not known to exist, surfaced in the same time frame as the PAC lugers, along with other J.L. Galef marked items. Pictured is one such J.L. Galef marked Luger, accompanied with an even rarer J.L. Galef logo stamped holster. As a matter of note, 1920s J.L. Galef catalogs were as flimsy as the PAC catalogs.
Most PAC assembled Lugers, however, were not marked and can only be identified, if at all, by personal inspection only, the exception being a few which had a PAC medallion inserted in each grip, or some examples without medallions, but with side frame panel pantographed PAC address and some with both the medallions and side frame panel inscription and a very few with an additional receiver right side, three-line pantograph applied address. These fancy PAC Lugers were most likely used for store display,
exhibition or sales samples. As stated above, some collectors believe there are two different PAC medallions, one brass and one bronze and of slightly different text styles, although the brass vs. bronze appearance maybe a photographic issue. Pictured are other PAC medallion examples vs. the subject PAC Artillery rig medallions.
Kenyon has two pages in the ©1991 publication titled Luger: The Multi-National Pistol where he discusses and pictures a Pacific Arms Corporation Luger, however, he states in the opposite page text description, along with a brief history of the firm that: Pacific Arms examples usually have a “P.A.” stamped on the right side of the receiver or right frame rail No PAC Luger has ever been identified or published with a “P.A.” stamped on the receiver or right frame rail and, unfortunately, the PAC Luger pictured shows the left side only with no notation of being “P.A.” stamped. Interestingly, Kenyon makes no reference to the infamous brass medallions.
The PAC P.08 Lugers
Pictured is an example of a 1920s PAC P.08 style, 30 Cal, 98mm barrel Luger serial number 3178n. What distinguishes this P.08 as a PAC Luger is the very professional, deeply pantograph applied PAC three-line address on the left side frame panel of PACIFIC ARMS CORP – SAN FRANCISCO – CALIF. U.S.A. Without the PAC side frame panel inscription there are no other features that would identify this receiver, barrel, and breechblock C/N commercially proofed P08 as a PAC Luger, except for the conspicuous absense of a Germany import stamp, usually, but not always, present on the frame front, just below the serial number, the lack of which is very unusual for a 1920s letter suffix DWM/BKIW commercial Luger as most, but not all were Germany import stamped, although per J. Still in WEIMAR LUGERS © 1993, page 28 states in the i through q and r suffix series in the Commercial Subvariation category in a footnote that: Many were sold through A.F. Stoeger, New York. Some were sold through Pacific Arms Corp., San Francisco; Abercrombie and Fitch, New York and Luger Sales Co., and P.Von Frantzius, both of Chicago.
PAC P.08 Luger 4295o
Pictured is an another very fine, near mint, rare example of a 1920s P08 style 30 Cal 4-inch barrel Luger, serial number 4295o with a PAC medallion in each grip and rarely seen three-line pantograph applied PAC address on the right side of the receiver. This is the only known published P08 4-inch, 30 Cal barrel PAC Luger so marked. These PAC Lugers are much rarer than similar period marked Stoeger Lugers.
The PAC LP08 Lugers
As of this writing there are four known Pacific Arms Corporation Artillery Luger variations or examples. The first is a traditional post war, commercially proofed 9mm Artillery Luger, serial number unknown, with PAC discs inletted in each grip and additionally with a rarely seen three-line pantograph applied Pacific Arms - Corporation – S.F. CALIF. USA address on the receiver right side. Without the medallions and the receiver right side pantograph applied address this would be an otherwise standard configuration commercial C/N proofed 1920s Artillery Luger assembly.
The second example, currently offered by Simpson Ltd., serial number 340o also has PAC discs inletted into each grip, but without any other PAC markings, although the adjustable rear sight is mounted on an aftermarket 8-inch 9mm barrel. Simpson Ltd. states in the advertising description of 340o that: Pacific Arms Corp. imported DWM 1920 commercial pistols in the 1920s along with German made artillery length barrels, which were fitted up by Pacific Arms in the U.S. Without the medallions this otherwise standard commercial C/N proofed 1920s Artillery Luger, most likely, still would
be a PAC rework due to the otherwise standard 100m - 800m adjustable front sight affixed to an aftermarket barrel. Pictured are three views of 340o correct pre WW1 adjustable front sight assembly, dove-tail fitted in an aftermarket installed barrel sight bed.
PAC Artillery Luger 5750k
The third example is a mostly standard 1920s C/N proofed commercial Germany export stamped Artillery Luger, serial number 5750k with PAC medallions inleted into each grip and the very rarely encountered three-line PAC address pantograph applied on the receiver right side. The P08 toggle link assembly is a typical 1920s commercial with a C/N stamped breechblock with an integral V notch rear link sight with the last two-digits of the serial number located behind the P08 style intergral fixed V notch. The assembly uses an original DWM artillery barrel with front sight band and blade and rear integral sight block, although unusually C/N nitro proof stamped on the barrel underside in two locations, one under the blue and one stamped through the blue. Additionally, with a modified, otherwise standard LP08 barrel, dovetail mounted 100m – 800m adjustable front sight assembly and standard P08 receiver without the chamber forward edge notch to accommodate the flush seating of the barrel mounted graduated adjustable rear sight. The 100m – 800m barrel mounted, graduated adjustable rear link assembly with V notch sight is a standard LP08 part, normally installed by DWM/BKIW.
The difference is in the rearward angled V notch portion of the 5750k sight, of which the top surface is curved vs. the flat surface of a standard LP08 adjustable rear sight. Additionally, the underside of the rearward angled V notch has been machined to conform to the standard P08 receiver chamber top curvature in order to allow flush seating of the otherwise standard, barrel mounted adjustable front sight assembly. The standard 100m – 800m, barrel installed and modified LP08 adjustable rear sight underside could could have been done by DWM/BKIW, but not the top curved V notch surface, which strongly suggests that both modifications are aftermarket, i.e. done by PAC. Pictured are top views of three PAC Artillery Luger graduated 100m – 800m adjustable rear barrel mounted sight assemblies.
Auction description: This is a unique example of a DWM Model 1920 Commercial Luger Artillery pistol that is marked "Pacific Arms Corporation" of San Francisco. The Pacific Arms Corporation was akin to the A.F. Stoeger and Von Lengerke & Company only they were located on the west coast in San Francisco. They did not achieve the same recognition or sales volume as the other companies, making their Luger examples very rare today. The Luger is a standard 1920 commercial model as made by the DWM factory. It has a blank chamber area with the DWM logo on the front toggle. The right side of the barrel extension is roll marked "PACIFIC
ARMS/CORPORATION/S.F. CALIF., U.S.A.". Additionally both grip panels have a brass (quarter size) coin inset into the grips that reads (around the edges): "PACIFIC ARMS CORPORATION/SAN FRANCISCO CALIF U.S.A." with the center of the disc also marked with the intertwined logo of "PAC". These 1920 Lugers still retain their German "GESICHERT and GELADEN" markings in the safety area and on the extractor. The underside of the barrel, left side of the barrel extension and breech block all have the early "Crown/N" commercial proof mark. It is commercially numbered with the full number on the front of the frame only, with the last two digits on the trigger, take down lever, both grips, the side plate and rear toggle, with the other parts unnumbered. It has the standard front sight with adjustable artillery rear sight marked 1-8 (100-800) meters. It comes with one, wooden base magazine that is stamped with "GERMANY" on the wooden base.
The auction house description is reasonably accurate, albeit with the usual hype, except where it inaccurately states that the 3-line PAC address is on the barrel extension rather than on the receiver right side and that it is “roll marked” which it is not, being pantograph applied. Pacific Arms Corporation Artillery Luger 5750k has the same PAC markings as P08 PAC Luger 4295o described and pictured earlier, except with slightly different style left and right side walnut grip inserted brass medallions. Both the P08 PAC Luger 4295o and LP08 PAC Artillery Luger 5750k, despite its less than stellar condition, are classic examples that represent 1920s C/N proofed commercial Lugers assembled by DWM/BKIW, mostly unmodified by PAC, except for the addition of the grip medallions and the very rare, seldom seen right side receiver pantograph applied three-line Pacific Arms Corporation – San Francisco, Calif., U.S.A. address, being identical in location/position, font size and style to P08 Luger 4295o.
Most collectors are pleased to see a GERMANY import stamp as it implies a certain legitimacy, especially in 1920s post war commercial Lugers and accessories, as in the Pacific Arms Corporation 1920s Artillery Luger rig, it is the GERMANY stamped holster and board-stock accessory items, whereas the 30 Cal Artilley Luger 7539i, in this case, without any GERMANY import stamp is, being a grey market PAC import, ironically the most authentic part of the rig. A possible reason for the lack of a GERMANY import stamp is that Pacific Arms Corporation Lugers were not contractual items vs. A.F Stoeger, Inc. Luger imports and/or had a different POE or Port of Entry, perhaps the west coast vs. the New York City POE of A.F. Stoeger, Inc. of which, invariably all Stoeger Lugers are GERMANY import stamped. The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess, © 2010 & 2011 offers a different reason for the absence of GERMANY import stamps on some PAC Lugers as does Weimar Lugers by J. Still © 1997.
Per major old time Luger dealers, LP08 example 3 with its 30 Cal aftermarket barrel is a classic example of PAC Artillery Luger confiigurations observed through the years. Per The Luger Story by J. Walter, © 1995 on page 197 states, regarding the 1920s commercial Lugers and
the Pacific Arms Company: The majority chambered the popular 7.65 mm cartridge – better known in the USA as ‘.30 Luger’ – which had always been more acceptable than the 9mm pattern. Pictured are top views of a standard Artillery integral barrel adjustable rear sight, in this case Simpson Ltd PAC Artillery 340o vs. the subject PAC Artillery 7539i non standard aftermarket Artillery adjustable rear sight.
When comparing the receiver right side pantograph applied PAC 3-line address of PAC P08 style Luger 4295o with PAC LP08 artillery Luger 5750k, it is abundantly clear that both PAC addresses are identical in font style, size and identical location on the receiver, that both were pantograph applied to the receiver right side by PAC, using the same fixed point jigged master engraving. Additionally, with three known receiver right side PAC 3-line pantographed addresses pictured together demonstrates that the application location was not random, but tighty controlled, all done by PAC and not an aftermarket adventure as some critics suggest. Animated pantograph application illustration.
PAC Artillery Luger rig 7539i
The fourth example is a complete PAC Artillery Luger rig, serial number 7539i with medallions iserted in each grip along with a third medallion inserted in the right side of a WW1 military spare Artillery board-stock. The pistol has a PAC aftermarket 30 Cal, 210mm or 8.268-inches barrel vs. the standard 9mm Artillery stated barrel length of 200mm or 7.874-inches, with an added sleeved barrel front sight band with an extra large height sight blade. The eight-position barrel mounted adjustable rear sight assembly dovetail installed into the barrel integral rear sight block, is a non standard aftermarket variation with different font style numbers with the Tangent Sight Slide Button engaged from the right side of the Tangent Sight Slide vs. the standard production left side position. The barrel and receiver
underside have matching three-digit PAC applied assembly numbers 278, unrelated to the 7539i serial number. The pistol overall finish is near mint, although the barrel exhibits a high polish, non DWM rust blue type black finish. The receiver appears to have been reblued, similar in finish to the barrel as the left side, surprisingly, lacks a vertical C/N proof with the only C/N commercial proof being deeply struck on the left side of the middle link. The last two-digits of the serial number are located on the trigger, the take-down lever, the side plate underside and the 1920s assembly rear link which, interestingly, retains the integral rear V notch sight. The barrel and receiver, except for the 278 PAC applied assembly number are not serialized, with the full serial number 7539i on the frame front only. There is no GERMANY import stamp on the gun.
The final item that makes this PAC Artillery Luger doubly unique, as described above, is that it sports an 8.268-inch 30 Cal aftermarket 210 mm length barrel with a sleeved front sight band and unusually large height sight blade and a non standard barrel mounted aftermarket adjustable rear sight and sight bed. Example 4 being GESICHERT/GELADEN marked, in conjunction with its deeply stamped i suffix serial number, makes it an early 1919-20s post war vs. the later Stoeger SAFE & LOADED marked Luger imports. 7539i is not the only 1920s commercial Artillery type Luger with the unusual large height sight blade and non-standard barrel mounted aftermarket adjustable rear sight and sight bed as 1920s long barrel commercial Luger with an identical sight blade and aftermarket adjuatable rear sight is pictured, albiet in black and white in Luger: TheMulti-National Pistol by C. Kenyon © 1991 on page 261 with the text caption of Another example of Model 1920 Long Barrel Lugers. Possibly modified by PAC as their catalogs offered extra-long barrels.
Both of the subject P08 3178n and LP.08 7938i PAC Lugers lack any GERMANY import stamps, which is a feature unique to many PAC Lugers. Pictured are the PAC 7389i and 3178n frame serial numbers as compared to identical i and n suffix frame serial numbers with Germany import stampings.
The 1922 catalog cover Figure 2 pictures an example of a 7.65 mm. (.30 cal.) Luger Pistol cartridge of which the headstamp clearly identifies it as the W.R.A. Co. or Winchester Repeation Arms Company, the manufacture not mentioned in the catalog, but although not mentioned by name in the catalog, apparently recommended by PAC. Pictured is a period, unopened 50 round box of WINCHESTER 7.65 M/M (.30 Cal.) FOR LUGER AND PARABELLUM ARMS, identical to the figure 2 pictured single round.
The holster board-stock
What makes example 4 special is that it is a complete Artillery Luger rig with attaching board-stock and holster. Both the board-stock and holster are GERMANY import stamped. The PAC board-stock attaching iron is unnumbered and the board-stock lacks the large Imperial crown inspection stamp, which is typical for a WW1 spare. Pictured is one such unmarked commercial example. The Artillery board-stock, as stated above, has a PAC medallion inserted in the left side and is additionally GERMANY import stamped with the stamp, being unusually located on the rear butt edge along with an unidentified light stamping of L.H.LINDSEY, possibly one of the original owners.
The Artillery Holster is sturdy and well constructed using linen/flax stitching and is in excellent condition considering its age. The holster is a deep, rich tan color with a GERMANY import stamp located on the cover flap, although the holster doesn’t appear to be a WW1 German military spare, but made in post WW1 Germany for, or aquired by Pacific Arms Corporation.
In support of the post WW1 German origins of the PAC holster is an interesting statement in the 1922 catalog, Fig. 1, No. 5 – LUGER PISTOL, 8” barrel description of the subject caliber 7.65 mm PAC Artillery Luger as: A splendid combination for either home or outside use, especially so when use in connection with our HOLSTER STOCK, which instantly converts the arm into a rifle. There are identified Artillery Luger holsters, both of WW1 and post WW1 German manfacture with identical cover flap located GERMANY import stampings. Pictured is one such WW1 Imperial German Army 1918 Artillery Luger holster GERMANY import stamped example.
The post war surviving German saddlers did not have to conform to the WW1 military rigid standards of holster construction and as such, the subject PAC Artillery Luger holster exhibits, in slight variations of stitching patterns and and leather cuts, as do other identified 1920s made and identical Germany import stamped commercial Artillery Luger holsters. The metal fittings used are a combination brass, copper and steel and also vary between WW1 military and 1920s commercial Artillery holster examples, however, is of little import as the use of metal fittings and locations also vary within many WW1 Artillery military holster examples. Pictured is a collage of most of the details of construction of the PAC Artillery holster.
The holster is otherwise complete with shoulder straps, boot cup, holster body pull-up strap, loading tool pouch with tool, holster body cleaning rod pouch with cleaning rod and twin magazine pouch with two spare magazines. The excellent condition holster is similar in color, condition and stitching to an example pictured in Luger: The Multi-National Pistol, by C. Kenyon, Jr., © 1991, page 97. The only curious feature of the PAC Artillery hoster is a large ink stamping to the inside cover flap of MW IV3., possibly a clothing or supply depot marking. The ink stamping could have been applied by the German saddler or applied later by PAC to imbue Imperial German era origins.
Included in the article for informational purposes is The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess ©2010 & 2011 section on Pacific Arms Corporation Volume II, Retailers – Pacific Arms Corp, pages 755, 756 and the Volume II, CHAPTER 14 - THE LANGE PISTOLE 08, Accessories of the LP.08/Holsters, pages
990-992. Also presented is an alternate version of certain aspects of the Sturgess explanation of the configuration of the Artillery Luger holster.
In addition to their catalogs, PAC did advertise in 1920s periodicals with ads being in an April 1923 Sportsman’s Digest magazine on page 79 and in a February 6, 1924 New York City publication titled “The Outlook”, V136 #6 with a caption: WORLD’S BEST ARMS referring, curiously to: Catalog “A” 1O C (ents).
Another PAC ad dated 1922 titled: YOUR LUGER PISTOL A RIFLE! stating: MAIL US YOUR PISTOL and we will return it equipped with a long barrel…. strangely, with no mailing address in the ad!
The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols © 2010 & 2011 by †Görtz/Sturgess, Volume II, Chapter 11 – Manufactures & Contracts, page 756, Fig. 11-73 shows a PAC catalog mailing envelope with a return postage address of “MAIN” P. O Box 427
The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess ©2010 – 2011 describes the catalogs in the Fig. 11-73
caption as:The Pacific Arms Corp. of San Francisco issued very cheaply printed 32 page catalogues in 1922 and 1924, largely devoted to the Luger pistol, especially with a variety of long barrels and with war surplus accoutrements from the lP.08. They also offered versions fitted with a Hensoldt telescopic sight, Swiss Target Barrels
etc. Guns they sold appear generally to have been unmarked, although occasional examples are found with their brass medallion name plate set into the grips (centre, right), but these are of doubtful originality. The catalogue was very crowded, and even its (catalog mailing) envelope being crammed with advertising materiel.
The PAC Lugers
The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess ©2010 & 2011.
Retailers – Pacific Arms Corp, Abercrombie & Fitch, von Lengerke & Detmold etc.
Many retailers of what had become the Luger pistol in the USA during the pre-WWI and immediate post-war period were then and are still today at least as well known as the importers, due to their more immediate contact with the retail market and end users. It is also through their catalogues that some of the history of geographical
distribution of the pistol may be discovered. However, most simply copied the publicity material issued by the importers, and this material is simply repetitive, apart from indicating how widespread retail distribution of the Luger pistol become in the USA. In the immediate post WWI period it is evident from those catalogues that several retailers were also making grey market parallel imports of war surplus Lugers, so challenging the supposed exclusivity of DWM’s representative agreement then with Stoeger. European dealers were able to supply large quantities of war surplus P.08s and lP.08s, and their accessories such as holsters, stocks and drum magazines. German exporters such as Akah, Frank, WUM etc. were largely excluded from the export of 9 mm pistols and surplus lP.08s by enforcement of the Versailles Treaty provisions after mid-1921, but were still able to supply accoutrements.
The Pacific Arms Corporation of San Francisco, which appears to have been a dealer mainly in imported war surplus military firearms, is well known through its extravagantly far-fetched catalogues. Little, however, is known of the company. Their 1922 and 1924 dated catalogue contain a wealth of fanciful accessories for the Parabellum which are today totally unknown, and may well never have existed, since some were not priced in the accompanying price list, such as 100 shot magazines and double 32 round drum magazine carriers. PAC may have had a distribution agreement for Hensoldt telescopic sights, which feature extensively, even being offered fitted to a long barrelled Parabellum pistol. Long barrels were evidently their specialty, as they offered both 7.65 and 9 mm barrels in lengths of 96, 150, 200, 300 and 400 mm, either as barrels alone or fitted to a receiver, the longer (200, 300 & 400 mm) ones having an lP.08 rear sight fitted to the barrel.
Fig. 11-73: The Pacific Arms Corp. of San Francisco issued very cheaply printed 32 page catalogues in 1922 and 1924, largely devoted to the Luger pistol, especially with a variety of long barrels and with war surplus accoutrements from the lP.08. They also offered versions fitted with a Hensoldt telescopic sight, Swiss Target Barrels etc. Guns they sold appear generally to have been unmarked, although occasional examples are found with their brass medallion name plate set into the grips (centre, right), but these are of doubtful originality. The catalogue was very crowded, and even its envelope (bottom right) being crammed with advertising material.
They also promoted strongly the merits of the Parabellum with such long barrels as hunting carbines, used with stocks that were also offered, both of the Parabellum
Carbine type or flat board lP.08 pattern, evidently war surplus. This advertising may possibly relate to the curiously mixed lot of post WWI Parabellums with long barrels, found with and without carbine fore-ends, but having un-suffixed 2 – 4 digit serial numbers or very late 91, xxx range commercial serial numbers (see Figs 9-48 & 10-50). These generally bear crown/N proof marking on the barrel, having been finished in Berlin, which must date them to the period before full enforcement of the Versailles Treaty provisions in July 1921, at the very beginning of PAC’s operations, and they have GESICHERT/GELADEN safety/extractor marks, indicating they were not
Stoeger imports which were marked, in the main, SAFE/LOADED after 1921. PAC also offered what they described as 7.65 mm Swiss target barrels in 150 and 200
mm lengths, claiming that a Parabellum with such a 200 mm barrel (but in 9 mm calibre) had won the 1923 Mexican pistol championship. This may indicate a connection with one of the Swiss barrel makers, such as Hammerli, as the source of the long barrels offered, Swiss target pattern or otherwise. Evidently the company was short lived; it used much of Tauscher’s pre-war illustrative materiel for Parabellum spare parts in its catalogue, which may indicate a link to the APC disposal of Tauscher’s assets, or simple plagiarism. The company may well have run into legal difficulties with Stoeger, by then firmly established as the exclusive agent for DWM, but details of any dispute are unknown.
The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by †Görtz/Sturgess © 2010 & 2011.CHAPTER
14 - THE LANGE PISTOLE 08. The leather fittings of early stocks, the closing strap, holster toe ring, clamp boot strap and loop, were all sewn together, only the brass closure studs on the closure strap (engaged by the slit in the holster strap) and toe loop being riveted through washers. By a change introduced in November 1916 the sewn leather joints were all changed to copper rivets with washers, these being by far the commoner type seen. Stocks are marked with an inspector's acceptance stamp, which is 12 mm high, as also found on the stocks of the Gew. 98, crown/G being applied to stocks matching Erfurt L.P08s of 1914, crown/S being the commonly seen mark applied to stocks with DWM made pistols (see Fig 14-33). The attaching clamp is identical to that of the Navy's Pistole 1904 stock, and is protected by a double thickness
leather boot, the inner liner of which was painted or dyed red, and specified in the Maßtafeln as “Transparentleder”, which is untanned buffalo or bull hide, depilated, limed, decalcified, dyed and dried, akin to the process of making vellum from thinner skins, and similar to rawhide. It was specified due to its good moldability and higher abrasion resistance than normal tanned leather, and painted red both to waterproof it, and to indicate that this had been done for the benefit of inspectors.